- Watch TV with captions, if compliant with Australian Standard 4933
- Connect to any VCR or DVD recorder and record captioned programs
- Different digital tuners use different fonts and formatting
- Can solve many reception problems
- May need to upgrade your antenna
- Not all digital equipment is compliant with Australian Standard 4933
Buy a High Definition set-top box if:
- You have a television/monitor which supports High Definition resolutions. (These are typically called a HDTV or HD Ready)
- You have a sound system which supports digital 5.1 surround sound.
- You want to see all the new digital multichannels (some of which are HD only).
Buy Standard Definition set-top box if:
- You have a SDTV or normal analog TV which does not support HDTV. (Likely anything older than 2 years will not support HDTV resolutions)
- You are not so concerned about receiving 5.1 surround sound broadcasts.
To record the captions you can either buy a digital set-top box and connect it to a VCR or DVD recorder, or you can buy one with an inbuilt hard-disk recorder (but make sure that it is a model which allows you to recoprd the captions). These are more expensive but boast lots of added features that make recording easy.
For more information on digital reception and equipment please refer to the Digital Ready website.